For The New Collector
Whether you are a new collector of autographs or a pro, here is a bit of info from us at West Coast Authentic.
There are 6 ways of obtaining that prized autograph.
- Personal correspondence with the player or individual: Easier said than done. While most of the greats are deceased i.e. Babe Ruth, Maurice Richard etc, some players are very willing to sign for you through the mail. IT TAKES TIME but you may see some great players, Hall-of-Famers etc. I have waited up to 5 years to get a response from some players through the mail so be patient. It does not hurt to add a few $ for their time as some sign for charity.
- Direct requests to the individual: You can't beat meeting your favourite in person. This could be a great experience or may turn you against the player. A couple things to remember: don't interrupt while he/she is eating and don't ask for 10 autos at once. In our expierience, if you ask to have it personalized you will get a better response and a nicer autograph. Hockey players seem to be the easiest players to access but with work you can find the player you seek.
- Purchasing from a dealer: There are tons of autograph dealers and promoters out there. Some are great and some are fake. Always do your homework on the auto you are seeking. Make sure they offer a 100% money back guarantee. It's pricey but you can get some of the tough autos you seek.
- Auction: You can find many items at auctions. You just never know what you will find at local auctions and many sports/celeb auctions around the world.
- Antique dealers and pawn shops: Yes, these are great places to find treasures. I once purchased a Babe Ruth baseball from a pawn shop. Do your homework and go have some fun.
- Trading: This has been around for years. Trading allows both parties to get something they need or want for their collection. Its fun and you can learn a lot.
Johnny Bower personal signing Bottom line: everyone have fun and know your stuff! If you need any help just drop us a line and we will assist as much as we can.